Quality and safety testing of food and beverages is an area of growing importance, be that for exporters, importers or government bodies, accurate analytical results are critical. In common with many other applications, careful sample preparation is critical, especially when the analyte of interest is volatile.
Genevac systems find application in a number of areas, from testing constituents of beverages such as Cognac or gluten levels in Whisky, to pesticide analysis of fruit and vegetables, antibiotic residues in meats or vitamin levels in cereals. The research and development of Functional Foods where high quality scientific research is carried out also benefits from the speed and quality of a Genevac system. The EZ-2 or Rocket are commonly used, often in conjunction with SampleGenie™, because this delivers automation of sample transfer and gives unparalleled sample recovery and inter-test reproducibility with very low standard deviations, as the studies from the Laboratoire départemental d'analyses de la Drôme clearly establish.
Concentration technology in Genevac systems has been developed with leading analytical laboratories. This, with key technologies like Dri-Pure, ensure that samples are concentrated safely and rapidly. SampleGenie™ is a great aid to concentration because the evaporator only evaporates the solvent contained in the large flask, and not the solvent in the vial. The system detects the end point of evaporation being when the solvent level enters the vial and, once validated, the method will concentrate the sample to the required level. If a precise volume is required in the vial, then the sample must be over concentrated and then made up to the desired level with pure solvent.
For protein analysis, e.g. for nutritional studies, the EZ-2 with HCI resistance option is ideal. Protein digests often require digestion with 6N HCl which is highly corrosive to traditional evaporation systems, however, HCl resistant Genevac systems are designed to withstand daily use of concentrated HCl.
The Rocket has also found an interest application in some of the worlds best restaurants, those that specialise in molecular cuisine, where it is used to concentrate sauces, juices and other natural flavours for the chef to use. Details of how the Rocket is used can be found in a new book; Modernist Cuisine - the Art and Science of Cooking. The Studio Kitchen blog has some interesting receipe ideas, and some of these are also on Kitchen Theory.
- An Improved Evaporative Sample Preparation Methodology for Determining Nitrofuran Antibiotic Residues in FoodstuffsKantonales Labor Zurich (KLZH), Zurich, Switzerland
- Analysis for pesticides: Method development to increase the recovery of volatile compounds by using EZ-2, a new generation of centrifugal evaporatorEnvironmental Protection Agency of Tuscany (ARPAT), Florence, Italy
- Evaluation of the EZ-2 for Pesticide Analysis Laboratoire départemental d'analyses de la Drôme, Valence, France
- Evaluation of SampleGenie™ for Environmental AnalysisLeochimica Laboratories, Zoppola, Italy
- Evaluation of the Rocket and SampleGenie for Pesticide AnalysisLaboratoire départemental d'analyses de la Drôme, Valence, France